How do I take care of my carpets?
A Fibre Designs rug is a special addition to your home décor that when correctly preserved, can grace the homes of generations to come. Proper care and maintenance is essential to ensure the lifetime of your carpet. Cleaning, rotating, proper padding and restoration are all integral parts of a proper maintenance program.
Pat, do not rub, the rug to remove excess water. Dry the area thoroughly with a fan or a cool temperature hair dryer. If it’s a small rug, lay it over a chair or sawhorse so both the top and bottom are dried before placing the rug back on the floor. Make sure that both sides are dried completely before moving it. Gently brush the rug with a cloth brush to restore the fibres back to their normal shape, if needed. The fibres may be a bit stiff after they dry, so the brush or even a vacuum will make them soft and pilable again. Stains in need of special attention:
- Wax – put a blotter or brown paper bag over the stain and then place a hot iron over the area. The wax should be absorbed by the paper within minutes. Do not leave the iron in one spot, move it around to remove all the wax.
- Ink – saturate the area with hairspray and allow it to dry completely. Then brush the area with a water and vinegar solution.
- Glue – saturate the area with a cloth soaked in vinegar or alcohol.
- Pet Urine – blot out as much of the urine as possible. Apply a simple cleaning solution of 1tablespoon (clear) liquid dish washing detergent, 1 cup white vinegar and 2 cups of lukewarm water. The vinegar helps prevent colours from running and will help neutralize the urine odour. Blot, rinse and repeat the process if needed.
- Chewing Gum – place ice cubes on the gum, pressing them lightly. Wait a few minutes until the gum become brittle and breaks off. Use a spot remover if any stain is left and vacuum.